BENJAMIN KYLE POTTER Bio
BENJAMIN KYLE POTTER, M.D.
Lt. Colonel, Medical Corps, US Army
Director, Musculoskeletal Oncology & Orthopaedic Research Department of Orthopaedics, WRNMMC, Bethesda, MD
Vice Chair (Research) & Associate Professor of Surgery,
Uniformed Services University, Bethesda, MD
Consultant, Orthopaedic Oncology, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD
Pediatric and adult limb-sparing surgery, benign and malignant bone and soft tissue tumors, osteosarcoma, Ewing’s sarcoma, metastatic cancer to bone, metabolic bone disease.
Bachelor of Science (1997), United States Military Academy (West Point, NY)
Doctor of Medicine (2001), University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine (Chicago, IL)
Orthopaedic Surgery (2007), Walter Reed Army Medical Center (Washington, DC)
Orthopaedic Oncology (2007-2008), University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine (Miami, FL)
Orthopaedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (2009)
Dr. Potter graduated with honors from the United States Military Academy at West Point in 1997 and the University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine Alpha Omega Alpha in 2001. He completed his residency training in Orthopaedic Surgery in 2007 at the former Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, DC, and his fellowship training in Orthopaedic Oncology in 2008 at the University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine. He has been an orthopaedic oncologist since 2008 and has been at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center from its very beginning in August 2011. Additionally, he has deployed as an Orthopaedic Surgeon in support of Operating Enduring Freedom to Camp Dwyer, Afghanistan, in the heart of the Helmand Province.
Dr. Potter is a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery and an Associate Professor of Surgery at the Uniformed Services University. He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, the Musculoskeletal Tumor Society, the United States Military Cancer Institute, the Orthopaedic Trauma Association, the Orthopaedic Research Society, and the Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons. He has reviewed research grant proposals for the congressionally-mandated Peer-Reviewed Orthopaedic Research Program and serves on the Food and Drug Administration’s Orthopaedic Device review panel. He serves as the Director of Research on the Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons Board of Directors and also serves on the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Board of Specialty Societies.
Dr. Potter’s research efforts are geared toward complex reconstructions and outcomes following major orthopaedic oncologic surgery and applying personalized medicine to extremity tumor surgery using advanced bioinformatics approaches. His military-specific research includes the characterization and prevention of combat-related heterotopic ossification and combat-related wound healing and amputation outcomes.
- Potter BK, Freedman BA, Lehman RA, Shawen SB, Kuklo TR, Murphey MD. Solitary Epiphyseal Enchondromas. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2005; 87: 1551-1560.
- Potter BK, Burns TC, Lacap AP, Granville RR, Gajewski DA. Heterotopic Ossification in the Residual Limbs of Traumatic and Combat-Related Amputees. J Amer Acad Orthop Surg 2006; 14: S191-S197.
- Potter BK, Burns TC, Lacap AP, Granville RR, Gajewski DA. Heterotopic Ossification Following Traumatic and Combat-Related Amputations: Prevalence, Risk Factors, and Preliminary Results of Excision. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2007; 89: 476-486.
- Helgeson MD, Potter BK, Evans KN, Shawen SB. Bioartificial Dermal Substitute Use for Management of Complex Combat-Related Soft Tissue Wounds. J Orthop Trauma 2007; 21: 394-399.
- 5. Johnson ON III, Potter BK, Bonnecarrere ER. Modified Abdominoplasty Advancement Flap for Coverage of trauma-related Hip Disarticulations Complicated by Heterotopic Ossification: a report of two cases and description of surgical technique. J Trauma 2008; 64: E54-E59.
- Thacker MM, Potter BK, Pitcher JD, Temple HT. Soft Tissue Sarcomas of the Foot and Ankle: Impact of Unplanned Excision, Limb Salvage, and Multimodality Therapy. Foot Ankle Int 2008; 29: 690-698.
- Potter BK, Adams SC, Pitcher JD, Temple HT. Local Recurrence of Disease Following Unplanned Excisions of High Grade Soft Tissue Sarcomas. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2008; 466: 3093-3100.
- Adams SC, Potter BK, Mahmood Z, Chiappetta G, Pitcher JD, Temple HT. Consequences and Prevention of Inadvertent Fixation of Primary Osseous Sarcomas. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2009; 467: 519-525.
- Potter BK, Adams SC, Qadir R, Pitcher JD, Temple HT. Fungating Soft Tissue Sarcomas: Treatment Implications and Prognostic Significance of Malignant Ulceration. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2009; 91: 567-574.
- Potter BK, Adams SC, Pitcher JD, Malinin TI, Temple HT. Proximal Humerus Reconstructions for Tumors. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2009; 467: 1035-1041.
- Potter BK, Pitcher JD, Adams SC, Temple HT. Squamous cell carcinomas of the foot. Foot Ankle Int 2009; 30: 517-523.
- Aarons C, Potter BK, Adams SC, Pitcher JD, Temple HT. Extended intralesional treatment versus resection of low grade chondrosarcomas. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2009; 467: 2105-2111.
- Potter BK, Chow VE, Adams SC, Letson GD, Temple HT. Endoprosthetic Proximal Femur Replacement: Metastatic Versus Primary Tumors. Surgical Oncology 2009; 18: 343-349.
- Murphey MD, Ruble CM, Tyszko SM, Zbojinewicz AM, Potter BK, Miettinen M. Imaging of the Musculoskeletal Fibromatoses with Radiologic-Pathologic Correlation. Radiographics 2009; 29:2143-2183.
- Tintle SM, Forsberg JA, Keeling JJ, Shawen SB, Potter BK. Lower extremity combat-related amputations. J Surg Orthop Adv 2010; 19: 35-43.
- Forsberg JA, Potter BK. Heterotopic Ossification in Wartime Wounds. J Surg Orthop Adv 2010; 19: 54-61.
- Brown KV, Dharm-Dhatta S, Potter BK, Etherington J, Mistlin A, Hsu JR, Clasper JC. Comparison of Development of Heterotopic Ossification Between Injured US and UK Armed Service Personnel with Combat-Related Amputations. J Trauma 2010; 69 (Suppl 1): S116-S122.
- Helgeson MD, Potter BK, Burns, TC, Hayda RA, Gajewski DA. Reasons for late or delayed amputation following combat-related extremity trauma. Orthopedics 2010; 33: 669.
- Adams SC, Potter BK, Pitcher JD, Temple HT. Office-based core needle biopsy of bone and soft tissue malignancies: a safe and accurate alternative to open biopsy. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2010; 468: 2774-2780.
- Gordon WT, O’Brien FP, Strauss JE, Andersen RC, Potter BK. Outcomes Associated With the Internal Fixation of Long Bone Fractures Proximal to Ipsilateral Traumatic Amputations. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2010; 92: 2312-2318.
- Burns TC, Stinner DJ, Possley DR, Mack AW, Eckel TT, Potter BK, Wenke JC, Hsu JR, and the Skeletal Trauma Research Consortium (STReC). Does the Zone of Injury in Combat Related Type III Open Tibia Fractures Preclude the Use of Local Soft Tissue Coverage? J Orthop Trauma 2010; 24: 697-703.
- Potter BK, Forsberg JA, Davis TA, Evans KN, Hawksworth JS, Tadaki D, Brown TS, Crane NJ, Burns TC, O’Brien FP, Elster EA. Heterotopic Ossification following Combat-related Trauma. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2010; 92 Suppl 2; 74-89.
- Tintle SM, Keeling JJ, Shawen SB, Forsberg JA, Potter BK. Traumatic and Trauma-related Amputations Part I: Lower Extremity and General Principles. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2010; 92: 2852-2868.
- Tintle SM, Baechler MF, Nanos GP, Forsberg JA, Potter BK. Traumatic and Trauma-related Amputations Part II: Upper Extremity and Future Directions. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2010; 92: 2934-2945.
- Stojadinovic A, Eberhardt J, Brown TS, Hawksworth JS, Gage F, Tadaki DK, Forsberg JA, Davis TA, Potter BK, Dunne JR, Elster EA. Development of a Bayesian Model to Estimate Healthcare Outcomes in the Severely Wounded. J Multidisciplin Healthcare 2010; 3: 125-135.
- Tintle SM, Keeling JJ, Forsberg JA, Shawen SB, Andersen RC, Potter BK. Operative Complications of Combat-related Transtibial Amputations: A Comparison of the Classic Burgess and Modified Ertl Tibiofibular Synostosis Techniques. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2011; 93: 1016-1021.
- Davis TA, O’Brien FP, Anam K, Grijalva S, Potter BK, Elster EA. Heterotopic Ossification Formation in Complex Orthopedic Combat Wounds: Quantification and Characterization of Osteogenic Precursor Cell Activity in Traumatized Muscle. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2011; 93: 1122-1131.
- Montgomery C, Emory C, Adams S, Cohen J, Pitcher JD, Potter BK, Temple HT. Treatment of Extra-Abdominal Desmoid Tumors with Chemotherapy. Cancers 2011; 3: 3394-3404.
- D’Alleyrand J-CG, Fleming ME, Gordon WT, Andersen RC, Potter BK. Combat-Related Hemipelvectomy. J Surg Orthop Adv 2012; 21: 38-43.
- Burns TC, Stinner DJ, Mack AW, Potter BK, Beer R, Eckel TT, Possley DR, Beltran MJ, Hayda RA, Andersen RC, Keeling JJ, Frisch HM, Murray CK, Wenke JC, Ficke JR, Hsu JR, & the STReC. Microbiology and injury characteristics in severe open tibia fracures from combat. J Trauma 2012; 72: 1062-1067.
- Emory CL, Montgomery CO, Potter BK, Keisch M, Conway S. Early Complications of High Dose Rate Brachytherapy for Extremity Soft Tissue Sarcomas: A comparison with traditional external beam radiotherapy. Clin Orthop Rel Res 2012; 470: 751-758.
- Tintle SM, Baechler MF, Nanos GP, Forsberg JA, Potter BK. Re-Operation Following Combat-related Upper Extremity Amputations. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2012; 94(16): e119 1-6.
- Beltran MJ, Burns TC, Eckel TT, Potter BK, Wenke JC, Hsu JR, & the STReC. Fate of Combat Nerve Injury. J Orthop Trauma 2012; 26(11): e198-e203.
- Evans KN, Forsberg JA, Potter BK, Hawksworth JS, Brown TS, Andersen RC, Dunne JR, Tadaki D, Elster EA. Inflammatory cytokine and chemokine expression is associated with heterotopic ossification in high-energy penetrating war injuries. J Orthop Trauma 2012; 26(11): e204-e213.
Last Updated 11/13/2019