FEDVIP is Coming: Get to Know Dental and Vision Plans Today
The TRICARE Retiree Dental Program (TRDP) ends on Dec. 31, 2018. Beginning in 2019, dental and vision plans will be available through the Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP). Now is a good time to become familiar with FEDVIP options. FEDVIP 2019 plans and rates will be online in the fall. But you can look at 2018 plans and rates now.
FEDVIP offers a choice between 10 dental and 4 vision options. This fall will be your first chance to enroll in a FEDVIP dental or vision plan for 2019 coverage. If you’re eligible, you can enroll in FEDVIP during the 2018 Federal Benefits Open Season. This runs from Nov. 12 to Dec. 10.
Who is eligible?
- Retired service members and their families who were eligible for TRDP are eligible for FEDVIP dental coverage. Also, they’re eligible for FEDVIP vision coverage if enrolled in a TRICARE health plan.
- Family members of active duty service members who are enrolled in a TRICARE health plan are eligible for FEDVIP vision coverage.
- Children enrolled in or eligible for TRICARE Young Adult aren’t eligible to enroll in FEDVIP.
When do you enroll?
- You can enroll in FEDVIP during the Federal Benefits Open Season. This year’s open season runs from Nov. 12 through Dec. 10, 2018. Your coverage will begin on Jan. 1, 2019.
- If you currently have TRDP, you must enroll in a FEDVIP plan during the Federal Benefits Open Season to continue dental coverage for 2019.
- The Federal Benefits Open Season is your annual opportunity to enroll in, change, or cancel a FEDVIP dental or vision plan.
Last Updated 2/11/2020