Starting on January 1, 2018, you will fall into one of two categories based on when you or your sponsor entered active duty. Each group will have different enrollment fees and out-of-pocket costs.
All enrollees: Costs for TRICARE benefits will be charged by Calendar Year (January - December) instead of Fiscal YearOctober 1 - September 30 (October - September).
If you are in a plan now that requires enrollment fees, you will need to continue paying enrollment fees during the three months between October 1 and December 31, 2017. We will pro-rate enrollment fees based on the 2017 rates and will send you information on how much you will need to pay to cover the final three months of the calendar year.*
Group AIf you or your sponsor’s initial enlistment or appointment occurred before January 1, 2018, you are in Group A.: If you or your sponsor’s initial enlistment or appointment occurred before January 1, 2018, you are in Group A.
Group BIf you or your sponsor’s initial enlistment or appointment occurs on or after January 1, 2018, you are in Group B.: If you or your sponsor’s initial enlistment or appointment occurs on or after January 1, 2018, are in Group B.
* We will extend deductibles and catastrophic caps that usually reset on October 1 through the end of the calendar year. Any enrollment fees you pay during this transition period will continue to count against the catastrophic cap until it resets on January 1, 2018. This means that if you reach your fiscal year 2017 catastrophic cap, you will not have additional out-of-pocket costs for authorized TRICARE-covered services for the last three months of calendar year 2017.
View Detailed Costs for 2018
Premium Based Plans
If you have a premium based plan, you will continue to see your yearly premiums adjusted each year on January 1 the way they have been in the past. These yearly adjustments are required by law, and will be calculated the same way they are today. These plans include:
- TRICARE Young Adult (TYA)
- TRICARE Retired Reserve (TRR)
- TRICARE Reserve Select (TRS)
- Continued Health Care Benefit Program (CHCBP)
TRICARE For Life
Costs won’t change for TRICARE For Life (TFL). Also, there are no changes in TFL eligibility, benefits, or the requirement to have Medicare Part A and B.
Using TRICARE overseas
You can continue to use TRICARE in overseas areas. In some areas, TRICARE will build a preferred provider network. In other areas, you will pay the out-of-network cost share amounts for TRICARE Select.
If you pay by allotment, the enrollment fees will continue to be paid automatically, and you will not need to do anything. Unless you cancel your allotment, we will continue to deduct enrollment fees starting January 1, 2018.
If you pay by electronic fund transfer and are in an area where a new contractor will be delivering services, the new contractor will send you information on how to update your payment to go to the new contractor.