Transfer Records to Veterans Affairs

When active, Guard and Reserve service members separate from the military, some information is electronically sent from the Department of Defense (DoD) to the Department of Veterans' Affairs (VA). Depending on your medical history and dates of service, the VA may have access to your electronic health record. 

  • Before you separate from service, request paper copies of your medical record and your family members’ medical records.
  • If you would like another party to have access to your medical records, please complete an Authorization to Release Information.

If you're not eligible for VA medical care, you must carry paper copies of your medical record to your new health care provider.

Last Updated 11/27/2018