Transfer Records to Veterans Affairs
When you’re an active, Guard and Reserve service member, and you leave military service, the Department of Defense (DoD) sends some information to the Department of Veterans' Affairs (VA). Depending on your health history and dates of service, the VA may access your DoD electronic health record.
- Before you leave military service, request paper copies of your health record and your family members’ health records.
- If you'd like another party to have access to your health records, please complete an DD Form 2870, Authorization for Disclosure of Medical or Dental Information.
If you're not eligible for VA health care, bring paper copies of your health record to your new provider. To get copies of your health record, you can:
- View and download your health records on the TOL Patient Portal. This only applies to health records that aren’t classified as sensitive.
- Fill out and submit a Form SF 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records.
- Submit a request in-person at your nearest military hospital or clinic.
Last Updated 11/30/2020