Bread Crumbs

I'm Using TRICARE Retired Reserve

In most cases, you won't switch plans one you're using TRICARE Retired Reserve.

  • If you move, you can continue to use TRICARE Retired Reserve, but you must contact your new regional contractor to transfer coverage and establish new payments. >>Learn more about Moving
  • When a retired Reserve member turns age 60:
    • The member and eligible family members can use several different health plans options depending on where you live.
    • Review the steps below to switch plans
I want to switch to:  Follow these steps: 

You can enroll in TRICARE Prime if you live in a Prime Service Area or within 100 miles of a primary care manager. If you qualify:

  • Enroll in TRICARE Prime.
  • You remain covered by TRICARE Standard and Extra until your TRICARE Prime coverage begins.
US Family Health Plan 

To switch to the US Family Health Plan, you must live in a designated area. If you qualify:

TRICARE Standard and Extra
  • You don’t need to enroll to use TRICARE Standard and Extra.
  • Coverage is automatic as long as you’re listed in DEERS as eligible for TRICARE
TRICARE Standard Overseas
  • You don’t need to enroll to use TRICARE Standard Overseas.
  • Coverage is automatic as long as you’re listed in DEERS as eligible for TRICARE

To use TRICARE For Life, sign up for Medicare Part B when you first become eligible. TRICARE For Life begins when you have Medicare Part A and B.

  • If you have family members, his/her enrollment is separate from yours.
  • He/she can stay enrolled as long as they are eligible.

Adult Children Who “Age Out” of TRICARE

As long as your sponsor remains covered by TRICARE Retired Reserve, you can switch to TRICARE Young Adult when you lose eligibility:

  • On your 21st birthday (if not enrolled in college full time) or
  • On your 23rd birthday or when you graduate from college, whichever is first.

When you lose eligibility, your other coverage automatically ends.

Last Updated 9/15/2015