Before Traveling for Specialty Care

You don't need travel orders, but you must fax a travel request and the following documentation to the Defense Health Agency TRICARE Health Plan Office before you travel. Email requests are not accepted.

  • Copy of your CRSC determination letter identifying the combat-related disabilities
  • Your home address
  • Referring provider's address
  • Referral for specialty care to treat the specified combat-related disability
  • Statement (may be included in the referral) from the referring provider indicating that an non-medical attendant is needed, if applicable
  • Completed electronic funds transfer (EFT) authorization form for yourself and your NMA; form must be accompanied by a voided/canceled check or a copy of your savings account statement

The Defense Health Agency TRICARE Health Plan Office reviews your travel request and assists in finding a specialty provider or confirms that the requested specialist is a TRICARE-authorized providerAn authorized provider is any individual, institution/organization, or supplier that is licensed by a state, accredited by national organization, or meets other standards of the medical community, and is certified to provide benefits under TRICARE. There are two types of TRICARE-authorized providers: Network and Non-Network. DS outside the 100-mile radius. If you don't submit your travel request in advance, your travel expensesAmounts you pay when traveling to and from your appointment.  This includes costs for gas, meals, tolls, parking, lodging, local transportation, and tickets for public transportation. might not be reimbursed.

Getting a Referral

Because you're using TRICARE Select or TRICARE For Life, you don't usually need referrals for specialty care. However, you must have a referral to qualify for this benefit. To get a referral:

  • Ask your doctor to write a referral to the provider you need to see to treat the combat-related disability.  
  • Your doctor should state in the referral if a non-medical attendant is needed.
  • If your doctor has questions, please have them contact the Defense Health Agency TRICARE Health Plan Office.

Last Updated 7/6/2020