TRICARE Select is a fee-for-service plan available in the United States.
- You must show eligible for TRICARE in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting SystemClick to close(DEERS) A database of information on uniformed services members (sponsors), U.S.-sponsored foreign military, DoD and uniformed services civilians, other personnel as directed by the DoD, and their family members. You need to register in DEERS to get TRICARE..
- Enrollment is required, learn more on the Select Enrollment Page.
- Meets or exceeds the requirements for minimum essential coverageClick to closeBasic health care coverage that meets the Affordable Care Act requirement. under the Affordable Care Act.
Who Can Participate?
- Active duty family members
- Retired service members and their families
- Family members of activatedClick to closeCalled or ordered to active duty service for more than 30 days in a row. Guard/Reserve members
- Non-activated Guard/Reserve members and their families who qualify for care under the Transitional Assistance Management Program
- Retired Guard/Reserve members at age 60 and their families
- Medal of Honor recipients and their families
- Qualified former spouses
How it Works
Schedule an appointment with any TRICARE-authorized providerClick to closeAn authorized provider is any individual, institution/organization, or supplier that is licensed by a state, accredited by national organization, or meets other standards of the medical community, and is certified to provide benefits under TRICARE. There are two types of TRICARE-authorized providers: Network and Non-Network..
Referrals not required, but you may need prior authorization from your regional contractor for some services.
You won't receive a TRICARE wallet card when using TRICARE Select. All you need is your military ID as proof of coverage.
What You Pay
Costs vary based on the sponsor's military status. You'll pay:
- An annual outpatient deductible
- Cost shares (or percentage) for covered services
>>View TRICARE Select Costs
Is TRICARE Select Right for You?
- If you're on active duty (including activated Guard/Reserve members), you can't use TRICARE Select.
- TRICARE Select may be the right choice for you if:
- You live in an area where you can't use TRICARE Prime
- You have other health insuranceClick to closeHealth insurance you have in addition to TRICARE, such as Medicare or an employer-sponsored health insurance. TRICARE supplements don’t qualify as "other health insurance." such as an employer-sponsored health plan
- You're seeing a provider who isn't in the TRICARE network and you don't want to switch.