For Travel before September 1, 2014
TRICARE will reimburse the actual fuel expenses for driving to and from the appointment.
- You won’t be reimbursed for any dates outside the approved dates of travel.
- You should try to limit your travel in-and-around the destination as much as possible
To qualify for fuel reimbursement:
- Fill your gas tank before you leave home. The first gas receipt is not reimbursable, but it will establish a common starting point to calculate the actual fuel expense used for the trip.
- During the trip, add gas as needed. Save these receipts—make sure they are legible.
- Refill your gas tank when you get home. This receipt establishes a common endpoint for calculation of the total fuel expense during the trip.
For Travel on or after September 1, 2014
TRICARE will apply a mileage rate for driving to and from the appointment.
- Reimbursement is calculated using the “other” mileage rate in the Joint Federal Travel Regulation
- Look this up each time you travel as this mileage rate may change