Reasons You May Lose Eligibility

Your eligibility for TRICARE may end for several reasons. This list isn’t all inclusive.

Sponsor Separates from Active Duty

You Have Medicare Part A, but don't Purchase Part B

You may be eligible for Medicare Part A due to your age, disability or other reasons. If you're getting Social Security disability benefits:

  • You become eligible for Medicare Part A starting on the 25th month of receiving Social Security disability payments.
  • The Social Security Administration notifies you of your Medicare start date.
  • You should purchase Medicare Part B when you first become entitled to Medicare Part A, regardless of your age.

If you don't purchase Part B when you first become eligible for it, you may lose your eligibility for TRICARE. >>Learn More

Dependent Child Reaches Age Limit

Your children can get regular TRICARE coverage up to age 21. If they’re enrolled in college and their sponsor is providing for at least half of their financial support, they can keep their TRICARE coverage until they turn 23.

After aging out at 21 or 23, they may qualify for TRICARE Young Adult. This will cover them up until they turn age 26. Keep in mind that your child’s coverage through TRICARE Young Adult does depend on their sponsor’s TRICARE eligibility. >>Learn More 


In a divorce, the former spouse will lose eligibility for TRICARE unless they meet specific requirements. >>Learn More 

Surviving Spouse, Widow, or Former Spouse Remarries

If a surviving spouse, widow or eligible former spouse remarries, they will lose eligibility for TRICARE. They can retain TRICARE if you they marry another uniformed service member.

The loss of eligibility for TRICARE will also result in the loss of transitional survivor status.

DEERS Information Not Kept Up-to-Date

One way you can temporarily lose coverage is to let your information in DEERS lapse. If you lose eligibility this way, simply update your information on DEERS to restore your coverage. >>Learn More

DEERS won’t automatically re-enroll you in your other health plans. You may contact your regional contractor to re-enroll in your other health plans.

Last Updated 10/11/2022