Loss of Eligibility | TRICARE

contact Your Contacts

DMDC/DEERS Support Office (DSO)

Toll-free: 1-800-538-9552
TTY/TTD: 1-866-363-2883
Fax: 1-800-336-4416 (Primary) or 1-502-335-9980 (Alternate)

Update DEERS Online

View More Contacts

Loss of Eligibility

When you lose eligibility for TRICARE, each member of your family will get a termination notice stating that you're no longer covered by TRICARE. 

Loss of TRICARE means the loss of minimum essential coverageBasic health care coverage that meets the Affordable Care Act requirement., so you'll need to make some decisions about your health care. Here are some options:

Transitional Assistance Management Program

Continued Health Care Benefit Program

  • After TRICARE or TAMP ends, you can purchase the Continued Health Care Benefit Program (CHCBP) 
  • CHCBP offers an additional 18-36 month of coverage, when purchased. 
  • You'll have minimum essential coverage when covered by the CHCBP.

Other Options

You can use:

If you don’t have new health coverage before your TRICARE or transitional benefits end, then you may have to pay a fee to the Internal Revenue Service for each month you don’t have minimum essential coverage.

Do I still need a Certificate of Creditable Coverage?

Starting January 1, 2015, you don't need a certificate of creditable coverageThis letter is proof you had TRICARE health care coverage. when you lose eligibility for TRICARE. For tax year 2015, The Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) will report your health care coverage to the IRS. You will get IRS Form 1095 which documents minimum essential coverage for you and your family members. >>Learn More

Last Updated 1/13/2016