Deploying isn’t considered a Qualifying Life Event (QLE), by itself. If a sponsor’s family chooses to relocate to a new country, city, or region during the service member’s deployment, the change of address for the active duty family members will trigger a QLE. Visit Moving to learn more.
Before deploying, sponsors should:
- Leave a copy of their orders
- Prepare a Power of Attorney
- Fill out paperwork so family members can get copies of medical records and personal health information
- Make necessary financial arrangements (allotments, automatic bill paying, etc.)
Always keep your family's information current in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS).
- Show your spouse how to make changes in DEERS while you're away
- Get identification (ID) cards updated if they're about to expire
Make sure your family knows how to get health care while you're away.
- Make a list of important phone numbers. Go to Contact Us for up-to-date phone numbers
- Primary care manager or provider to call for appointments
- Regional contractor
- Review your family's TRICARE plan information. Go to Health Plans for information about your plan
- Talk about how and where to get prescriptions. Go to Pharmacy for information about the TRICARE Pharmacy Program