Skip to main content
Open Season Deadline is Today

Learn more about how to enroll or change plans for health, dental, and vision.

Life Events

Learn more about Qualifying Life Events.
They can trigger a change in your TRICARE benefit.

Moving When Deploying

Deploying isn’t considered a Qualifying Life Event (QLE), by itself. If a sponsor’s family chooses to relocate to a new country, city, or region during the service member’s deployment, the change of address for the active duty family members will trigger a QLE. Visit Moving to learn more.

Before deploying, sponsors should:

  • Leave a copy of their orders
  • Prepare a Power of Attorney
  • Fill out paperwork so family members can get copies of medical records and personal health information
  • Make necessary financial arrangements (allotments, automatic bill paying, etc.)


Always keep your family's information current in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS).

  • Show your spouse how to make changes in DEERS while you're away
  • Get identification (ID) cards updated if they're about to expire


Make sure your family knows how to get health care while you're away.

  • Make a list of important phone numbers. Go to Contact Us for up-to-date phone numbers
    • Primary care manager or provider to call for appointments
    • Regional contractor
  • Review your family's TRICARE plan information. Go to Health Plans for information about your plan 
  • Talk about how and where to get prescriptions. Go to Pharmacy for information about the TRICARE Pharmacy Program 

Last Updated 11/8/2018