Resources to Help You Quit
Quitting tobacco can be hard. Whether you are starting your first quit journey, have made multiple attempts or want to support Military Service members during their quit, our resources can help. Even if you’re not ready to quit today, there are still resources that can answer your questions, increase your confidence and motivation and—when you’re ready—help you create a quit plan. Whatever stage you are in, we have resources for you:
- 24/7 Quit Tobacco Live Chat: See that little yellow bar in the bottom-right corner of the screen? That’s our 24/7 Live Chat. Click on the bar and start typing to speak with coaches who can provide information, techniques and encouragement to help you quit tobacco.
- SmokefreeMIL: Sign up for this text message support program. Get advice and tips on how to quit and stay quit 24/7 for up to eight weeks.
- Sign up by texting MIL to 47848 and answer a few questions, such as your quit date, age, gender, state, smoking frequency and if your phone has Internet.
- Along with the daily encouragement, you can also text certain words to 47848 and get a reply:
- Text “NicFit” when you have a bad craving and need a reminder of why not to pick up the cigarette.
- Text “Tense” if you need a positive message sent your way.
- Text “Lapse” if you use a cigarette and need some extra encouragement to get back on track.
- Materials: Check out fact sheets, posters and handouts on tobacco-related topics such as e-cigarettes, health impacts of tobacco use and more. Use these materials to help you during your quit or share them with your fellow Military Service members trying to quit tobacco.
- Fight Weight Gain During a Quit
Learn about why you might gain weight while quitting tobacco and tips to manage or address it.
- Caution: Check Your Vape Oils
Learn more about cannabidiol (CBD) vape oils and why they may be dangerous and illegal for Military Service members like you.
- Tobacco Cessation Resources Guide: Find texting programs, websites, mobile apps and more on our Tobacco Cessation Resources Guide. One side provides information for when you’re thinking about quitting and the other has tools for when you’re ready to quit.
- E-cigs and Vapes: Know the Facts
Learn more about the different types of e-cigarettes and ways these tobacco products can hurt you.
- 4 Things You Didn’t Know About Nicotine and Tobacco
Learn more about the health effects of nicotine and other products you might not realize are tobacco products, such as hookah.
- Smokeless Tobacco: Myth vs. Fact
Learn about the effects smokeless tobacco can have on your physical fitness, sexual and reproductive health and appearance.
- Yes! That’s a Tobacco Product
Learn how the Department of Defense defines tobacco products.
- Supporting Others During a Quit
Learn the do’s and don’ts of supporting your friend, significant other or battle buddy while they are quitting tobacco.
- Managing Your Mood After You Quit Tobacco
Learn about mood changes that are normal when you quit tobacco and ways you can manage them.
- Preventive Health Checklist
Learn more about how to keep your health in check by staying tobacco free with four quick tips.
- Revamp Your Routine by Putting Down Tobacco
Learn how to replace tobacco with healthy and fun alternative activities by using this activity sheet.
- Fight Weight Gain During a Quit
Last Updated 1/4/2019