You don't have to re-enroll every year to continue TRICARE Select coverage, but certain events will cause you to be disenrolled.
Sponsor Status Change
Any change in the sponsor's status (e.g., active duty to retired, Guard/Reserve deactivation) will cause an automatic disenrollment. If you're still eligible for TRICARE Select after the status change, you can:
- Re-enroll in TRICARE Select
- You can re-enroll before the status change occurs to avoid a lapse in coverage.
- Active duty service members can't disenroll from TRICARE Select.
- All others can choose to disenroll at anytime, but may be "locked out" from re-enrolling until the next open enrollment season.
To disenroll from TRICARE Select:
- Log into the Beneficiary Web Enrollment website or download your region’s disenrollment form:
- Complete the Sections I and III of the form. In Section I:
- Check the box for “Disenroll”
- Add the effective date in #9
- Skip #10
- Mail the form to your regional contactor (address are on the forms).
Loss of Eligibility
If you lose eligibility for TRICARE, your TRICARE Select coverage will automatically end.
- You may qualify for continued health coverage under the Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP)
- If you don't qualify for TAMP, you can purchase temporary coverage through the Continued Health Care Benefit Program (CHCBP).
- You're not required to purchase the CHCBP. Instead you may use employer’s sponsored health insurance, Medicaid or any other plan offered through the Health Insurance Marketplace.
Last Updated 10/4/2018