Types of Care
The table below is for Active Duty Service Members and other TRICARE Prime beneficiaries.
Note: The rules for getting care is based on your TRICARE plan. If you are using TRICARE For Life, US Family Health Plan or TRICARE Select or another TRICARE plan, check your plan's rules for care. >>Learn More.
- Urgent care is care needed for conditions such as a sprain, sore throat or rising temperature.
- You can expect to get an urgent care appointment within 24 hours (1 day), even if you are traveling.
- The Urgent Care Pilot Program began on May 23, 2016. This pilot allows you to get two urgent care referrals per fiscal yearOctober 1 - September 30 without a referral from your PCM.
- Routine (primary) care includes general office visits for the treatment of symptoms, chronic or acute illnesses and diseases and follow-up care for an ongoing medical condition.
- You can expect to receive a routine care appointment within 1 week (7 days).
- You can expect to get a specialty care appointment within 4 weeks (28 days).
- Preventive services are health screenings, tests and examinations.
- You'll usually get these during regular office visits.
- You can expect to get an appointment within 4 weeks (28 days).