Requesting Prior Authorization

If you're enrolled in a TRICARE Prime plan, your primary care manager (PCM) will work with your regional contractor for the prior authorization. 

For all other plans:

  • You need to contact your regional contractor for prior authorization.
  • You can call or register on your contractor's site for secure services:

You'll get an authorization letter after it’s approved. 

  • Schedule your appointment with the TRICARE provider listed in the authorization letter or contact your regional contractor if you need to find another provider.
  • Review the number and frequency of authorized visits. If the specialty provider recommends surgery or other procedures, you need to go back to your PCM or regional contractor to get another referral and a new authorization. 
  • If something isn’t clear, contact your regional contractor before you get care. 

Last Updated 9/3/2019