Military Hospitals and Clinics
Military hospitals and clinics are:
- The core of the Military Health System
- Found at military bases and posts around the world
- Referred to as direct care, military treatment facilities or MTFs
Find a Military Hospital or Clinic
There are several different types of military facilities, each providing different levels of service.
- Integrated networks of military hospitals and clinics.
- May be composed of any combination of medical centers, hospitals or clinics
- 15 around the world—11 in the U.S. and 4 overseas
- Six are considered "enhanced" because of size and medical mission:
- Smaller than medical centers
- Offer hospitalization and outpatient services; smaller capacity than medical centers
- Multiple specialties but not sub-specialties
- Smallest military facility
- Only offers outpatient services; no hospitalization
- Limited number of specialties.
- Some clinics limited to primary care only
- Some clinics limited to active duty service members only
Overseas Patient Liaison Services
Most military hospitals and clinics overseas are staffed with patient liaisons that can help you navigate the overseas health care system with ease. Patient liaisons speak fluent English, as well as the overseas language and are skilled at handling overseas medical system procedures.