One Week Until TRICARE, FEDVIP Open Seasons End on Dec. 9
Do you want to make changes to your TRICARE health plan, or enroll in a dental or vision plan with the Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP)? You have one week left to take action for 2020 coverage. Two open seasons are underway. They both end next Monday, Dec. 9.
TRICARE Open Season
- TRICARE Open Season applies to anyone enrolled in or eligible for TRICARE Prime, including the US Family Health Plan (USFHP), or TRICARE Select. If you and your family members are enrolled in a TRICARE health plan and don’t want to make any changes, you don’t have to do anything. You’ll continue in your current plan through 2020 or as long as you’re eligible.
- TRICARE Open Season doesn’t apply to TRICARE For Life or the premium-based plans. If you have a premium-based plan, like TRICARE Retired Reserve, TRICARE Reserve Select, or TRICARE Young Adult, these plans offer continuous open enrollment throughout the year.
Outside of TRICARE Open Season, you can only enroll in or change your TRICARE Prime (including USFHP) or TRICARE Select plan unless you experience a TRICARE Qualifying Life Event (QLE). A QLE is a certain change in your life that may mean different TRICARE options are available to you and your family. Examples are moving, marriage, the birth of a child, or retirement from active duty.
Federal Benefits Open Season
- Federal Benefits Open Season allows eligible TRICARE beneficiaries to purchase dental and vision coverage through FEDVIP.
- Most retirees are eligible for FEDVIP dental coverage.
- Most retirees and active duty family members are eligible for FEDVIP vision coverage. You must be enrolled in a TRICARE health plan to enroll in a FEDVIP vision plan.
- Active duty service members aren’t eligible for FEDVIP dental or vision coverage.
After the Federal Benefits Open Season, you may only enroll in a plan or change your existing FEDVIP plan if you experience a FEDVIP QLE. Keep in mind that FEDVIP QLEs may be different from the TRICARE QLEs.
Learn more on the TRICARE Open Season page, including how to enroll or make changes to your plan. Likewise, visit the Federal Benefits Open Season page. You can also review benefits and cost information on the TRICARE and FEDVIP websites. The clock is ticking. If you need to take action, do so before open season closes next week.
Last Updated 12/6/2019