Found a TRICARE Plan? Enroll Using One of These Options


You’ve entered open season and decided on a TRICARE Prime or TRICARE Select plan for you and your family. Ready for the next step? It’s now time to enroll. Depending on your beneficiary category and TRICARE plan, you may have to pay enrollment fees when you enroll. By staying up to date on the TRICARE enrollment process, you and your family can get the most out of your coverage. 

“Don’t wait until the last minute to enroll in a TRICARE health plan or make changes to your current plan,” said Mark Ellis, chief of the Policy and Programs Section of the TRICARE Health Plan with the Defense Health Agency. “Take time now to review the ways you can enroll and then complete your enrollment for 2021 coverage before the Dec. 14 open season deadline.”

Whether you’re stateside or overseas, enrolling in a TRICARE plan or switching plans is easy. Here are some ways you can do it.

1. Pick up the phone
If you’re already enrolled in a TRICARE Prime plan and want to switch to TRICARE Select or vice versa, just call your TRICARE contractor to get started. Make sure you have information, like your Department of Defense (DoD) Benefits Number on hand. You can find this number listed on the back of your military ID card. You’ll also need to determine how you wish to pay your TRICARE enrollment fees or premiums, if applicable. Your TRICARE contactor can guide you through the process and answer any questions you have. If you want to enroll in the US Family Health Plan (USFHP), call 1-800-74-USFHP (1-800-748-7347) or visit the USFHP website

2. Enroll by mail or fax
Another way you can enroll or make changes to your health plan during open season is by mail (or fax if you’re stateside). You’ll need to download an enrollment form, fill it out, and mail or fax it to your TRICARE contractor. Your enrollment form includes your contractor’s mailing address and instructions. Visit the TRICARE Enrollment page to learn more.

3. Enroll in-person (overseas only)
Do you live overseas? If so, you may also be able to visit a TRICARE Service Center to enroll in a new plan or change your plan. TRICARE Service Centers are your in-person customer service outlets in each overseas area. They’re only available in certain areas overseas.

4. Use Beneficiary Web Enrollment (BWE)
Are you currently not enrolled in a TRICARE plan? Then consider using the Beneficiary Web Enrollment portal on the milConnect website to enroll in a TRICARE Prime option or TRICARE Select. All you need to do is:

  • Log in to milConnect.
  • Click on the “Benefits” tab.
  • Choose “Beneficiary Web Enrollment (BWE)” from the menu.

BWE isn’t recommended for beneficiaries who want to switch plans. Use one of the other options, like phone or mail, to do this. Remember, you must live in a Prime Service Area to use BWE for TRICARE Prime enrollment.

As you follow these enrollment steps, remember to make sure your information in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) is updated.

“Registering in DEERS and keeping it up-to-date allows you to enroll in a plan and access your TRICARE benefit when you need care,” said Ellis.

Need more information to decide on a plan? Check out the TRICARE Plans Overview or Compare Plans Tool for a quick refresher on the differences between each plan. And be sure to contact your TRICARE contractor if you have questions about enrollment.

Take command of your health, and enroll in a TRICARE plan before the end of open season on Dec. 14.

At the time of posting, this information is current. For the most recent information, contact your TRICARE contractor or local military hospital or clinic.

Last Updated 7/28/2022