Skip to main content

Covered Services

Learn more about what we cover -
including health, dental, and pharmacy.

Summer Travel: Getting Care While Overseas


Summer vacation is the start of travel season for many military families. TRICARE covers you when you travel on business or take a vacation with family. When traveling overseas, you should know what to do in the event of illness or other health issues.

Before You Leave

You should get routine and specialty care before you leave for your trip. Otherwise, your care may not be authorized when you’re on your trip. When overseas, you can seek urgent and emergency care from any host nation provider. However, your rules for getting care depend on your plan and travel destination. Before you travel, follow these steps:

1. Get Prescriptions Filled or Refilled

  • Pack prescription medications in your carry-on luggage.
  • Find a network pharmacy where you’re traveling (just in case).

2. Pack a List of Phone Numbers

3. Update Your Information in Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System(DEERS) A database of information on uniformed services members (sponsors), U.S.-sponsored foreign military, DoD and uniformed services civilians, other personnel as directed by the DoD, and their family members. You need to register in DEERS to get TRICARE. (DEERS)

While You’re Away

To get help or to find a provider when traveling, contact the appropriate TRICARE Overseas Program Regional Call Center. You may also call the Medical Assistance number for the area where you’re located for assistance.   

In an emergency, go to the nearest emergency care facility, or call the Medical Assistance number for the area where you are. When overseas, remember these additional points:

Visit the TRICARE website and select your plan for more guidelines when traveling overseas.

Correction: An earlier version of this article incorrectly reported that stateside beneficiaries must file claims in the region where they live, not where they get the care. However, stateside beneficiaries who receive care overseas should file claims with the TRICARE Overseas Program claims processor, not with their regional contractor in the U.S.

Last Updated 7/31/2018