Skip to main content
Government Shutdown
For up to date information on how the Federal Government shutdown impacts the Military Health System, including care received through Military Treatment Facilities and the TRICARE health plans, visit

TRICARE logo Go to TRICARE home

Bread Crumbs

File a Complaint

You can file two types of complaints:

  1. An appealThe action you take if you don’t agree with a decision made about your benefit.
  2. A grievance

What is an appeal?

You can file an appeal when you don't agree with a decision made about your benefit. The appeal process is different based on the benefit issue. Depending on your issue, you can file a:

If your care is denied, you will receive a letter with details about how to file your appeal.

What is a grievance?

You can file a grievance when:

  • You have a complaint about the quality of care you received,
  • A provider or facility behaved inappropriately, or
  • You have any other non-appealable issue.

The grievance may be against any member of your health care team. This includes your TRICARE doctor, your contractor, or a subcontractor.

A sponsor, parent, guardian, or other representative may file on behalf of a dependent child. >>Learn more

Last Updated 1/19/2017

Topics Icon Related Topics