If You Lose TRICARE Coverage

You may lose TRICARE coverage for a number of reasons. For instance:

  • Separating from the service
  • Loss of eligibility due to age
  • Change in marital status

>>Learn More about Losing TRICARE

When you lose TRICARE coverage:

  • You may qualify for 180 days or transitional health coverage through the Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP)
  • Dependent children who age out of TRICARE may qualify to purchase TRICARE Young Adult (TYA) coverage up to the age of 26
  • After TRICARE, TYA, or TAMP ends, you may purchase Continued Health Care Benefit Program (CHCBP) coverage.  You will get an additional 18-36 months of coverage
  • You don’t have to purchase the CHCBP.  Instead you may use your employer’s health insurance, Medicaid, any other plan offered through the Health Insurance Marketplace, or any other qualifying commercial coverage. 

An Important Note About TRICARE Program Information

At the time of publication, this information is current. It is important to remember that TRICARE policies and benefits are governed by public law and federal regulations. Changes to TRICARE programs are continually made as public law and/or federal regulations are amended. Military hospital and clinic guidelines and policies may be different than those outlined in this publication. For the most recent information, contact your TRICARE regional contractor or local military hospital or clinic.

Last Updated 1/9/2020