Before Traveling for Specialty Care

Travel orders are not required, but you must fax a travel request in advance to your TRICARE Regional Office (TRO). Email requests are not accepted. Include the following documentation with your request:

  • Copy of your CRSC determination letter identifying the combat-related disabilities
  • Your home address
  • Referring provider's address
  • Referral for specialty care to treat the specified combat-related disability
  • Statement (may be included in the referral) from the referring provider indicating that an NMA is medically
    necessary and appropriate, if applicable
  • Completed electronic funds transfer (EFT) authorization form for yourself and your NMA; form must be accompanied by a voided/canceled check or a copy of your savings account statement

The TRO staff will review your travel request and assist in locating a specialty provider or confirm that the requested specialist is a TRICARE-authorized provider outside the 100-mile radius. If requests are not submitted in advance, the TRO considers travel reimbursement on a case-by-case basis.

Getting a Referral

When using TRICARE Standard and Extra or TRICARE For Life, you are not normally required to get a referral for any type of care. However, you must have a referral to qualify for this benefit. To get a referral, please talk to your doctor and ask him or her to write a referral to the provider you need to see to treat the combat-related disability.  He or she should indicate in the referral if a non-medical attendant is needed. If your doctor has questions, please have them contact your TRO for assistance.

Last Updated 9/23/2013

contact Your Contacts
CRSC Travel Coordinator

North Region
1-866-307-9749 or 1-703-588-1867/1869

South Region

West Region

View More Contacts