Bread Crumbs

Combat-Related Special Compensation Travel Benefit

If you are a retired service member and your Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) Board has awarded you Combat-Related Special Compensation, you may be entitled to the CRSC travel benefit. This benefit provides reimbursement for travel-related expenses when you must travel more than 100 miles from your referring provider’s location to get medically necessary, nonemergency specialty care for a combat-related disability.

To qualify, you must meet all of the following criteria:

  • Receive retired, retired retainer or equivalent pay
  • Awarded a CRSC determination letter from your service’s CRSC Board identifying the combat-related disability or disabilities
  • Live in the United States
  • Covered under TRICARE Standard and Extra or TRICARE For Life
  • Referred by your provider for specialty care that is more than 100 miles from your referring provider to obtain care for the combat-related disability

Note: TRICARE Prime enrollees, including those enrolled in the US Family Health Plan, are eligible for the TRICARE Prime Travel Benefit.

Reimbursable Expenses

Only reasonable, actual-cost travel expenses (e.g., lodging, fuel [rather than mileage], meals, parking, tolls) associated with receiving specialty care can be reimbursed. You are expected to use the least costly mode of transportation. Government rates will be used to estimate the reasonable costs for allowable expenses.

Please contact your TRICARE Regional Office for more information about reimbursable expenses and authorization requirements.


Non-Medical Attendants

One non-medical attendant (NMA) may also be reimbursed for travel-related expenses. Your referring provider must verify in writing that an NMA is medically necessary and appropriate to travel with you. The NMA can be a parent, spouse, or other adult family member (age 21 or older) or a legal guardian.

If the NMA is an active duty service member or a U.S. government employee, he or she may be entitled to temporary duty allowances (per diem and mileage) if on travel duty per their organization.

Last Updated 10/18/2013

contact Your Contacts
CRSC Travel Coordinator

North Region
1-866-307-9749 or 1-703-588-1867/1869

South Region

West Region

View More Contacts