TRICARE Prime is a managed care option available in the U.S. in Prime Service AreasGeographic areas in the United States where TRICARE Prime is offered. Prime Service Areas were created to ensure medical readiness of the active duty force by augmenting the capability and capacity of military hospitals and clinics. Prime Service Areas were also built around the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) sites..
Additional Prime options available for active duty service members and their families include:
- Active duty service members and their families
- Retired service members and their families*
- Activated National Guard/Reserve members and their families
- Non-activated National Guard/Reserve members and their families who qualify for care under the Transitional Assistance Management Program
- Retired National Guard/Reserve members (age 60 and receiving retired pay) and their families*
- Medal of Honor recipients and their families
- Qualified former spouses
*When retired service members and their families become eligible for TRICARE For Life, they are no longer able to enroll in TRICARE Prime.
TRICARE Prime provides comprehensive health coverage including enhanced preventive care and vision benefits. >>View Covered Services
You have an assigned primary care manager (PCM) who provides most of your care.
- Military or network provider
- Refers you to specialists for care he or she can't provide
- Works with your regional contractor for referrals/authorization
- Accepts your copayment and files claims for you
>>Learn More about Getting Care
TRICARE Prime Costs
>>View TRICARE Prime Costs
Is TRICARE Prime Right for You?
- Active duty service members are required to enroll in TRICARE Prime.
- All others have the option to enroll or use TRICARE Standard and Extra.
- TRICARE Prime offers fewer out-of-pocket costs than TRICARE Standard and Extra, but less freedom of choice for providers.
Enrolling in TRICARE Prime
1. Enroll online via the Beneficiary Web Enrollment Website
2. Mail the TRICARE Prime Enrollment and PCM Change Form to your regional contractor. The mailing address is found on Page 3 of the form:
3. Visit a TRICARE Service Center to submit the TRICARE Prime Enrollment and PCM Change Form.
>>Learn More about Enrolling in TRICARE Prime