Enroll or Purchase a Plan
You must enroll or purchase the following plans to participate. Some require payment of enrollment fees or monthly premiums.
*Notes about enrolling in a TRICARE Prime option:
- Active duty service members must enroll in TRICARE Prime, TRICARE Prime Remote, TRICARE Prime Overseas or TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas (based on the duty station).
- Active duty service members can't enroll in the US Family Health Plan.
- Active duty family members can enroll in any of these options, where available, but they aren't required to enroll.
- Retired service members can only enroll in TRICARE Prime or the US Family Health plan, where available.
If you have other health insurance, such as an employer-sponsored health plan, review your options. Enrolling in TRICARE Prime may not be your best option when you have other health insurance.
Enrollment Not Required...
You don't have to enroll to use the following plans—coverage is automatic as long as you are registered in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System.
- TRICARE Standard and Extra
- TRICARE Standard Overseas
- TRICARE For Life (you must have Medicare Part A & B)