Family Members of National Guard or Reserve Members
Your TRICARE coverage is based on your sponsor's coverage and it will be different based on his or her military status:
- On military duty for less than 30 days
- Activated-on active duty for more than 30 consecutive days
- Deactivated-after leaving active duty (for a period of more than 30 consecutive days
For you to be eligible for any TRICARE benefits, your sponsor must register you in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS).
Your Health Plan Options
Sponsor on Military Duty for Less than 30 Days
Sponsor is Activated
You may qualify for one of the following health plan options:
Some of these health plan options require you to enroll by submitting an enrollment application.
Sponsor is Deactivated
When your sponsor leaves active duty, he or she may qualify for transitional coverage through the Transitional Assistance Management Program followed by TRICARE Reserve Select (if he or she requalifies).
You can purchase the TRICARE Dental Program. It's separate from TRICARE's health benefit and requires a separate enrollment.
TRICARE offers a robust pharmacy benefit. You're eligible when:
- You're enrolled in TRICARE Reserve Select
- Your sponsor is on active duty orders
- You're covered under the Transitional Assistance Management Program
Your health care costs are based on which health plan option you are using.
Coverage for Children
Biological, adopted and step-children are covered by TRICARE.