File and Check a Medical Claim
Follow the steps below to file and check the status of your claims.
- Keep a copy of all paperwork for your records.
- If you need help, call your regional contractor.
1. Fill out the TRICARE Claim Form
2. Include a Copy of the Provider's Bill
Attach a readable copy of the provider's bill to the claim form, making sure it contains the following:
- Sponsor's Social Security Number (SSN) or Department of Defense Benefits Number (DBN) (eligible former spouses should use their SSN)
- Provider's name and address (if more than one provider's name is on the bill, circle the name of the person who treated you)
- Date and place of each service
- Description of each service or supply furnished
- Charge for each service
- Diagnosis (if the diagnosis is not on the bill, be sure to complete block 8a on the form)
3. Submit the Claim
- Mail your completed claim form to the claims address for your claims processor.
- If filing a claim overseas, you can submit your claim online. >>Learn More
4. Check the Status of Your Claims
To keep track of your claims online, you'll need to register on your claim processor's site:
Once registered, you can also:
- Look up your deductibles and your out-of-pocket expenses
- Update your other health insurance information
- View your explanations of benefits online
Claims for Same-Sex Spouses
Once your spouse shows as eligible for benefits in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS), he or she can file claims for care received:
- On or after June 26, 2013—if married before June 26, 2013, or
- Back to the date of eligibility in DEERS—if married after June 26, 2013.