TRICARE continues to provide coverage for family members when a sponsor dies. Family member health plan options and costs will vary based on:
- The sponsor's military status when he/she dies
- If the surviving family member is a spouse or child
The scenarios below provide an overview of survivor coverage. Spouses remain eligible unless they remarry.
You only have to report the death to the pharmacy contractor, Express Scripts. For medical and dental care, the Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC) gets information from the Social Security Administration about a beneficiary's death and from the services about an active duty service member's death.
It may take some time for DMDC to get the information from the Social Security Administration. If you prefer, you may notify DMDC of the death by:
- Visiting a local ID card office with a copy of the death certificate;
- Faxing a copy of the death certificate to 1-831-655-8317; or
- Mailing a copy of the death certificate to:
Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office
400 Gigling Road
Seaside, CA 93955-6771
If you have questions, call DMDC at 1-800-538-9552.
Not sure if your sponsor was on active duty when he/she died?
Contact a casualty assistance officer or your sponsor’s unit/service personnel office.