Bread Crumbs

Other Potential Beneficiaries

Victims of Abuse

Victims of abuse or domestic violence from their active duty sponsor may qualify for the Department of Defense Transitional Compensation Program if their sponsor is separated from the service for a dependent-abuse offense. The program provides monthly compensation payments and use of base facilities such as the exchange or commissary and TRICARE basic program benefits for the period of time that they are receiving "transitional compensation" under Section 1059 of Title 10 of the United States Code (12-36 months).

Victims of abuse who are receiving transitional compensation continue to be eligible for TRICARE basic program benefits under the same conditions and limitations as "active duty family members" even though their sponsor has separated. These beneficiaries may enroll in TRICARE Prime (where available) or use TRICARE Standard and Extra. Abused dependents with a qualifying condition are also eligible for the TRICARE Extended Care Health Option (ECHO).  Additionally, medical and dental care may be provided in facilities of the Uniformed Services on a space available basis to victims of abuse. 

After the transitional compensation period ends, victims of abuse may continue to receive space-available care at military treatment facilities for care of conditions that are a direct consequence of abuse, or knowledge of (witnessing, e.g.) abuse, including post traumatic stress disorder.

For more information about health benefits for those in the Transitional Compensation Program and how to apply, please contact your installation's Family Advocacy Program, Victim Witness Assistance Program or legal office.

Family of a Court-Martialed Sponsor

Certain family members of active duty service members who were discharged as a result of a court-martial conviction may be eligible for TRICARE benefits. Check with your local ID card office or unit personnel office for details.

Family of Sponsor Missing in Action

Certain family members of active duty service members missing in action may be eligible for TRICARE benefits.  Check with your local ID card office for details.

Last Updated 10/29/2013

contact Your Contacts
DMDC Support Office

Toll-free: 1-800-538-9552
TTY/TTD: 1-866-363-2883
Fax: 1-831-655-8317

Update DEERS Online

View More Contacts