Required Documents

You must bring all required documents to your appointment to update DEERS and/or recieve your ID card.

  • Two forms of ID
  • All documents must be in English

If you have questions, call the ID card office first for clarification. 

To update DEERS, sponsors may need to provide documentation, such as Social Security numbers, active duty separation papers (DD Form 214) or Medicare cards. Each family member's eligibility record must be updated separately.

To register family members in DEERS, sponsors must complete an Application for Uniformed Services Identification Card and DEERS Enrollment (DD Form 1172) and provide documentation (see below). If the sponsor is not available, the family member can update DEERS as long as they have a DD Form 1172 signed by their sponsor (within 90 days) or a valid Power of Attorney.

DEERS Update Required Documents
ID Cards-All Customers
  • Two unexpired forms of ID
  • One must be state or government-issued photo ID
  • Acceptable examples include driver's license, passport, or Social Security card 
Adding a Spouse to DEERS
  • Marriage certificate
  • Spouse birth certificate
  • Spouse Social Security card
  • Spouse photo ID
  • All documents must be originals or certified copies.
Adding a Child to DEERS   
  • Birth certificate
  • Social Security card
  • If step-child is being added, the marriage certificate is also required
Children over age 21 with Full-Time Student Status
  • Letter from the school's registrar's office stating they are enrolled full time in an accredited college in pursuit of an Associate's Degree or higher to have benefits extended to age 23
Child Born out of Wedlock (Female Sponsors)
  • Birth certificate
  • Social Security card 
Child Born out of Wedlock (Male Sponsors)
  • Birth certificate
  • Social Security card
  • Court order establishing paternity or a State Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity form
Dependent Parent
  • DFAS letter of approval
  • Service member birth certificate and valid photo ID
  • Photo ID and Social Security card of the parent
Dependent Ward
  • DFAS letter of approval
  • Court document placing the child in the member's household for one year or more
  • Birth certificate
  • Social Security card
  • All documents must be translated in English and certified.
TRICARE Young Adult
  • Applies to children age 21-26
  • Cannot be married or eligible for employer-sponsored health insurance
  • Once enrolled in TRICARE Young Adult, you are eligible for an ID card.
  • Must have two valid forms of ID and proof of enrollment in TRICARE Young Adult
Beneficiaries Turning Age 65 (TRICARE For Life)
  • Medicare card
  • Two forms of ID
Removing SSN from ID Cards
  • Current cards will not be replaced until your card is 30 days to its expiration date.
  • If your card has an INDEF expiration date, make an appointment for a new card.

Last Updated 12/3/2014

contact Your Contacts
DMDC Support Office

Toll-free: 1-800-538-9552
TTY/TTD: 1-866-363-2883
Fax: 1-831-655-8317

Update DEERS Online

View More Contacts

Web Sites Icon Related Websites