If you are medically retired, you can get TRICARE benefits as a retired service member. You must be on the:
- Temporary Disabled Retirement List, or
- Permanent Disability Retirement List.
Also, your family may be able to get TRICARE as a retiree family member. Keep your family's information in DEERS updated.
If you have an injury or condition, your Service will:
- Evaluate your health problem
- Determine if you're on the lists above
- Rate your disability*
*This rating is different from your Department of Veterans Affairs disability rating.
You will separate from active duty if your Service disability rating is less than 30%. Once you separate, you may apply for these temporary health plans.
Affordable Care Act Requirements
You need minimum essential coverage under the Affordable Care Act. You have that if you have one of these plans:
- Transitional Assistance Management Program
- Continued Health Care Benefit Program
After your benefits end, you can search the Health Insurance Marketplace to find a civilian health plan that meets your needs and budget.