Bread Crumbs


Moving doesn't change your eligibility for TRICARE, but it may change your health plan options. For the most detailed information about your situation, enter your profile.

Moving Made Easy for Active Duty Families

You can transfer your TRICARE Prime OptionTRICARE Prime, TRICARE Prime Remote, TRICARE Prime Overseas or TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas over the phone before you move, whether stateside or overseas. Once you know you're moving:

  • Call your current (losing) contractor and give them information about your upcoming move. 
  • Your losing contractor contacts your gaining contractor to begin the enrollment transfer.
  • Your new contractor will contact you within five days of your arrival date to complete the process.

In most cases, you won't need to submit new enrollment form. The process is completely automated and hassle-free. The "Moving Made Easy" enrollment transfer option is only available to active duty families.

  • If you move in the same region, change your primary care manager (PCM).
  • If you move to a Prime Service Area (PSA) in a new region, transfer to TRICARE Prime (in the new region).
  • If you move outside of a PSA in a new region, transfer to TRICARE Prime Remote.
  • If you move overseas, transfer to TRICARE Prime Overseas or TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas. Family members must live with the sponsor and be command-sponsored to enroll.
  • If you move from overseas to the U.S., you'll transfer to TRICARE Prime or TRICARE Prime Remote.

Note: In the U.S., family members who move away from their sponsors (i.e. children in college) can enroll in TRICARE Prime in a PSA, but if in a remote location, they will disenroll and use TRICARE Standard and Extra.

Retired Service Members and Their Families

If enrolled in TRICARE Prime, transfer your coverage your coverage after you move.

  • If you move to a PSA in the same region, change your PCM.
  • If you move to a PSA in a new region; transfer to TRICARE Prime (in the new region). You can transfer your coverage online, on the phone or through the mail. >>Learn More
  • If you move outside of a PSA, disenroll and begin using TRICARE Standard and Extra.
  • If you move overseas, you can only use TRICARE Standard Overseas.

If using TRICARE Standard and Extra or TRICARE Standard Overseas, find a new provider. If you change regions, look up your new claims address so you know where to send your claims.

If using TRICARE For Life, find a new provider. If you move overseas, TRICARE becomes the primary payer.

Beneficiaries Using TRICARE Reserve Select, TRICARE Retired Reserve or TRICARE Young Adult

  • If you move within the same region, update your address with your regional contractor.
  • If you move to another region, coordinate with your new contractor to transfer your coverage and set up your automated premium payments.
  • Then, find a new provider—your coverage* doesn't change.

*If you're using TRICARE Young Adult-Prime and you move to an area where "Prime" is not offered, you may have to switch to the Standard Option.

Whenever you move ...

Near or far, the first thing you should do after you move is update DEERS with your new address, phone number and other personal information.

Last Updated 4/16/2014