Bread Crumbs

Getting Married

Spouses, including same-sex spouses, of service members (active duty, retired or Guard/Reserve) are eligible for TRICARE.

In the following scenarios, getting married will cause TRICARE benefits to end:

  • Surviving (widowed) spouse remarries
  • Former spouse remarries
  • Adult child enrolled in TRICARE Young Adult gets married

Update DEERS

You need to visit an ID card office to register your spouse in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS). You'll need the following documents (originals or certified copies):

  • Marriage certificate
  • Spouse's birth certificate
  • Spouse's Social Security card
  • Spouse's photo ID

Spouse and Family Health Care Options

Depending on where you live and your military status, your spouse's options will vary. 

Active duty spouses may also qualify to enroll in one of these Prime options with their active duty sponsors:

*Enrollment required. If overseas, family members must be command-sponsored.

Dental Options

You can enroll in one of two dental insurance plans. These dental plans are separate from TRICARE's health benefit and require a separate enrollment.  

Pharmacy Coverage

TRICARE provides a robust pharmacy benefit.


Health care costs are based on the sponsor's military status which health plan option you decide to use.

Married Active Duty Service Members

When two active duty service members get married, they will each have their own DEERS record. If they have children, only one parent will be the "sponsor" in DEERS. For more information, call 1-800-538-9552 or log in to MilConnect

Last Updated 4/25/2014

Email Updates Email Updates

Sign up for email updates about your benefits.