Bread Crumbs

Getting Divorced


  • A sponsor’s biological and adopted children stay eligible for TRICARE until they age out. >> Learn More
  • To be TRICARE eligible, your child must be a dependent.  This means they aren’t married or serving on active duty.
  • After your child ages out, they can choose to purchase TRICARE Young Adult until they turn 26.
  • A sponsor’s stepchildren who weren’t adopted by the sponsor will lose TRICARE eligibility once the sponsor updates DEERS with the divorce decree.

Loss of Eligibility

When you lose TRICARE, you also lose your minimum essential coverage under the Affordable Care Act.  You can avoid paying a fee for each month you don’t have coverage. Here are your options:

Using TRICARE with Other Health Insurance

TRICARE is always the second payer to any other health insurance (OHI) plan. After a divorce, if your child has health insurance from the non-uniformed service parent, then TRICARE can still act as a second payer. If your child visits the uniformed service member, TRICARE is still the second payer, so make sure your child has the OHI information to get care away from home. >>View Custody Scenarios

Review your OHI and TRICARE options carefully, to make sure you have the best coverage for your child.>>Learn More about using TRICARE with OHI

Last Updated 5/1/2015