Applying for a Social Security Card Overseas

To apply for a child's Social Security number when you and the child live outside of the United States, you must complete and sign an Application for a Social Security Card (SS-5-FS).

  • In most cases, you can take or mail your signed application and documents to any U.S. Embassy or Consulate. If you have access to a U.S. military post, you can go to the Post Adjutant or Personnel Office. These offices can copy and certify your records so you don't have to send original documents through the mail.
  • If you don't have your records certified, you must mail your original documents and signed application as directed on the application.

Your child's Social Security card will be mailed to you from the United States. >>Learn More

Last Updated 4/8/2014