Bread Crumbs

Tobacco Cessation Products

TRICARE covers tobacco cessation products, including prescriptions and over-the-counter (OTC) drugs.

How can I qualify to get tobacco cessation products?

You don't need to be diagnosed with a tobacco-related illness. To get tobacco cessation products, you must:

  • Be age 18 or older
  • Not be eligible for Medicare
  • Have a prescription from a TRICARE-authorized provider

Where can I get them filled?

You can fill your prescription (at no cost) at military pharmacies and through home delivery.

  • If you plan to use a military pharmacy, call first to see if:
    • The product is in stock
    • You're required to participate in a tobacco cessation program or class
  • If overseas, tobacco cessation products are only available to active duty service members and families enrolled in TRICARE Prime Overseas.
  • Tobacco cessation products aren't covered at retail pharmacies.

What products are covered?

TRICARE covers the following tobacco cessation products:

  • Varenicline tablets (brand name Chantix)
  • Bupropion SR tablets (brand name Zyban and generics)
  • Nicotine nasal spray (brand name Nicotrol NS)
  • Nicotine inhalation (brand name Nicotrol)
  • Nicotine transdermal (brand names Nicoderm CQ and Habitrol)
  • Nicotine gum (brand names Nicorette, Nicorelief and generics)
  • Nicotine lozenge (brand names Nicorette, Commit and generics)


  • There is a limit of two quit attempts each year.
  • A third quit attempt may be covered in a year with physician justification and preauthorization. 
  • A quit attempt equals 120 days of the tobacco cessation product. If you also get counseling that overlaps your product use by at least 60 days, it's considered a single quit attempt.

Last Updated 8/18/2014

Web Sites Icon Related Websites