Military Hospitals and Clinics
Military hospitals and clinics are the core of the Military Health System. They are found at military bases and posts around the world. They are also known as "military treatment facilities" or "MTFs.”
There are several different types of military facilities, each providing different levels of service.
- Integrated networks of military hospitals and clinics.
- May be comprised of any combination of medical centers, hospitals or clinics
- 15 around the world—11 in the U.S. and 4 overseas
- Six are considered "enhanced" because of size and medical mission:
- Largest type of military facility
- Offer hospitalization and outpatient services
- Multiple specialties and sub-specialties i.e. Neurosurgery, Bariatric Surgery, etc
- Serve as trauma centers in the community for military and civilian patients
- Usually participate in General Medical Education and medical research programs
- Smallest military facility
- Only offers outpatient services; no hospitalization
- Limited number of specialtiesi.e. Family Practice, Optometry, etc.
- Some clinics limited to primary care only
- Some clinics limited to active duty service members only