A prior authorization (or preauthorization) is an approval for a health care service before you receive the care.
TRICARE Prime Options
Includes TRICARE Prime, TRICARE Prime Remote, TRICARE Prime Overseas, TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas, or TRICARE Young Adult-Prime
- You must have a referral for all specialty care.
- Your primary care manager (PCM) will get the referral and prior authorization from your regional contractor at the same time.
All Other Health Plan Options
Includes TRICARE Standard and Extra, TRICARE Standard Overseas, TRICARE Reserve Select, TRICARE Retired Reserve, or TRICARE Young Adult-Standard
You must have prior authorization for the following services before getting care:
- Adjunctive dental care
- Applied behavioral analysis (referral from an authorized diagnosing provider also required)
- Home health services (only available in the U.S. and U.S. Territories)
- Hospice care (only available in the U.S. and U.S. Territories)
- Nonemergency inpatient admissions for substance-use disorders or behavioral health
- Outpatient behavioral health care beyond the eighth visit
- Transplants (all solid organ and stem cell)
- TRICARE Extended Care Health Option services
In addition to those services listed above, each region may their own requirements:
Fitness-for-Duty Review for Active Duty Service Members
All active duty service members must get an additional fitness-for-duty review for:
- Maternity care
- Physical therapy
- Behavioral health services
- Family counseling
- Smoking cessation programs