Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System
You must be registered in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) to be eligible for TRICARE. DEERS is a worldwide, computerized database of uniformed services members (sponsors), their family members, and others who are eligible for military benefits, including TRICARE. All sponsors are automatically registered in DEERS. However, the sponsor must register eligible family members. Family members can update personal information such as addresses and phone numbers once they are registered in DEERS.
Note: Addresses must be a physical address; P.O. boxes cannot be used. Additionally, if both parents are service members, then either parent (must choose one) may be listed as the child(ren)'s sponsor in DEERS.
Updating Personal Information in DEERS
You may verify or update DEERS in one of the following ways:
- Visit a local ID card office to add/remove family members.
- Update your addresses, e-mail address and phone numbers online with milConnect.
- Call 1-800-538-9552 to update your addresses, e-mail address and phone numbers. (TTY/TDD: 1-866-363-2883)
- Fax address, e-mail address or phone number changes to 1-831-655-8317.
- Mail changes and supporting documentation to:
Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office
400 Gigling Road
Seaside, CA 93955-6771
When You Need to Update DEERS
You should update your record in the whenever you experience any of the following (this list is not all-inclusive):
If you are enrolled in a TRICARE Prime option or if you've purchased TRICARE Reserve Select, TRICARE Retired Reserve or TRICARE Young Adult, remember to also change your address with your regional contractor.