Is It Covered?
Search the A-Z list for a list of covered services. Your coverage and out-of-pocket costs may vary based on who you are and your health plan option.
TRICARE covers the following types psychotherapy:
- Individual therapy
- Conjoint, family or group sessions (up to 90 minutes)
- Collateral therapy
- Play therapy
You can get psychotherapy in an outpatient or inpatient setting:
- 2 sessions per week in any combination of individual, family, collateral or group sessions.
- You may not attend more than two sessions in one week or more than one session in one day.
- 5 inpatient psychotherapy sessions per week in any combination of individual, family, collateral or group sessions.
- Inpatient psychotherapy counts toward the 30- or 45- day limit of acute inpatient psychiatric care.
TRICARE doesn't cover:
- Psychotherapy for mental disorders involving sexual function disorders
- Mind expansion therapy
This A-Z list of topics is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers most inpatient and outpatient care that is medically necessary and considered proven. However, there are special rules or limits on certain types of care, while other types of care are not covered at all.