Is It Covered?
Search the A-Z list for a list of covered services. Your coverage and out-of-pocket costs may vary based on who you are and your health plan option.
TRICARE covers family therapy for patients suffering from a diagnosed mental disorder. Family therapy may involve all or part of the family, which includes:
- When the patient is an adult: the spouse of the patient and his/her children
- When the patient is a child: the parents, step-parents, guardians, siblings and other family members living in the same household.
- Maximum of two sessions per week in any combination of individual, family, or collateral sessions.
- Included in the first eight self-referred outpatient behavioral health visits.
- All visits after the first eight require prior authorization from your regional contractor.
- Five sessions per week in any combination of individual, family, collateral, or group sessions.
Note: Two consecutive family therapy sessions with the same family members is considered a single session and not two distinct sessions. In such a case, the reimbursement is treated as if the therapy had occurred at a single session.
See Also: Getting Mental Health Care
This A-Z list of topics is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers most inpatient and outpatient care that is medically necessary and considered proven. However, there are special rules or limits on certain types of care, while other types of care are not covered at all.