Is It Covered?
Search the A-Z list for a list of covered services. Your coverage and out-of-pocket costs may vary based on who you are and your health plan option.
Eye Surgery and Treatment
TRICARE covers services and supplies required in the diagnosis and treatment of an illness or injury involving the eye or ocular adnexa, including:
- Phototherapeutic keratectomy (PTK) for corneal dystrophies
- Surgical procedures and eye examinations to correct, treat or diagnose strabismus
- Corneal transplants (keratoplasty)
- Relaxing keratotomy to relieve astigmatism following a corneal transplant
- Transpupillary thermotherapy (laser hyperthermia), with chemotherapy for the treatment of retinoblastoma
TRICARE does not cover:
- Refractive corneal surgery
- Orthoptics, also known as visual training, vision therapy, eye exercises, eye therapy
- Epikeratophakia for treatment of aphakia and myopia
Please check with your regional contractor and get prior authorization before any surgeries.
Did you know?
Some military hospitals and clinics may offer vision procedures that are not covered by TRICARE. Contact a military hospital or clinic near you to see what programs are offered.
This A-Z list of topics is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers most inpatient and outpatient care that is medically necessary and considered proven. However, there are special rules or limits on certain types of care, while other types of care are not covered at all.